Online meeting on reducing methane emissions in foreign countries and Uzbekistan
Tashkent, Uzbekistan (UzDaily.com) -- The Ministry of Economic Development and Poverty Reduction, together with the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, organized an online event to review and discuss foreign experience in reducing methane emissions and possible mechanisms for implementing projects on this issue in Uzbekistan.
The event was attended by representatives of the ministries of energy, investment and foreign trade, agriculture, the State Committee for Ecology, Uzhydromet, Uzneftegazinspektsiya, Khududgaztaminot joint-stock companies, Uzkhimprom, Uztransgaz and Uzbekneftegaz, as well as representatives of the EBRD.
The event was opened with a welcoming speech by the Director of the Green Economy Development Department of the Ministry of Economic Development and Poverty Reduction, noting the main areas of cooperation between the Ministry and the EBRD and the planned activities under the signed memorandum.
It was also noted that the reforms carried out in our country are closely intertwined with the measures for the transition to a "green" economy, which is reflected in the Decree of the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan of 04.10.2019. No. PP-4477 Strategy for the transition of the Republic of Uzbekistan to a "green" economy for the period 2019-2030
During the online event, EBRD representative Christian Carrareto provided information on the EBRD's experience in developing programs to combat methane emissions in various countries, in particular in Ukraine and Kazakhstan, which relied on four aspects: research, investment planning using international standards, preparation project and investment programs based on data analysis and EBRD financing under the Paris Agreement.
In addition, the EBRD's vision was given to the problem of methane emissions in gas infrastructure and the need to create a special investment program to improve data in this area in various sectors of the economy related to production, transportation, storage, distribution throughout the territory and the use of technologies that measure the level of methane.
This event was continued by the presentation of the EBRD expert Yunus Burhan, who explained in detail the essence of the implementation of the project to change methane emissions in various sectors, based on the current situation in Uzbekistan in this area.
It was noted that the proposed program is based on the following activities:
- study of existing practices and procedures related to methane emissions, analysis of methane intensity data, detailed assessment of target factors, definition of a list of targets;
- conducting pilot measurement projects using ground and air technologies, the purpose of which is to quantify methane emissions from target sites, conduct a feasibility study, identify potential mitigation opportunities and rank projects by their potential;
- improving the accuracy of methane emission measurement data, implementing a methane emission register and applying procedures for periodic reporting;
- holding a series of dialogues on improving the policy and regulation of methane emissions in the sectors of the economy, as well as developing a "road map" to reduce methane emissions;
- providing capacity building and training for specialists in methane measurement.
In addition, the issues of methane emissions in the sectors of municipal solid waste, wastewater treatment, and agricultural waste were also considered in the field of view.
The event ended with a discussion by receiving answers to the speakers' questions from experts from ministries, departments and organizations.